Total Pageviews

More progress

16 May 2017

Front doors and all windows now added.

Also re-did seals on back door windows. Managed to take out glass without damaging seals as they didn't sit correctly in the first place. Glass was correct size but window opening in both doors needed enlarging slightly...just a few millimeters on depth and flange was a bit too thick in places. Used angle grinder to adjust. Seals sit a lot better now!




Progress update

3 May 2017
Just a couple more photos showing addition of windows to front and rear,number plates and front decorations.

Used 391 'S' shaped rubber section for all windows. Not the easiest to fit but managed with the help of a second pair of hands and a liberal use of washing up liquid.
Tip:- do not lubricate the glass edge before fitting the rubber....the rubber slides right off the glass when trying to fit it.

I suspect the rear window glasses are a bit to big. They fit but not totally happy with them.
Had to 'estimate' the correct glass dimensions as I didn't have a sample when ordering new glass.
Does anyone have the correct size for the rear window glass?...just width and height will do.





Back Home...let the fun begin

28 April 2017
Most of 'George', the Austin 101 JB type is finally back home from painting. I say 'most' because the front doors and front wings are still at the paint shop...promised next week.

Now I can start work fitting all the bits that have been scattered around the house for so long. So I am searching in the loft, under the beds, in cupboards for all those bits bought and restored over the years and tucked away for safe keeping.

Still missing a good front centre grill strip...the chrome one that runs vertically. I have a makeshift one that may do but if anyone has a spare please get in touch.

Anyway started by fitting the back lights, rear door badge and rear number plate light and fittings. Currently working on refurbishing an old spare wheel carrier and going to have a go at fitting the rear door windows next...wish me luck!

Here are a few photos.






Two days later we have 'Blood'

20 April 2017

Two days after the 'Custard' came the 'Blood' . Actually BS381C -540 Crimson
The 'Custard' is my attempt at a British Railways cream...could not find a definitive answer to  the question of a spec for this cream any where...not even the National Railway Museum in York!. 
My 'cream' is Piaggio Yellow Sahara Y0131. Looks pretty good in the flesh....but I am sure some railway expert will put me right!

Here are today's photos....camera phone not that good with red on some shots!
Van should be complete from painting in the next few days after back doors are fitted and odd marks cleaned up.




 

Almost there with a new coat of paint

April 2017

After 6 months in the paint shop it looks like my van is about to emerge into daylight once more!
While I was in no hurry to have it back over the winter, now that spring is here I am very keen to start putting it all back together.
Within the next 2 weeks I should have it delivered and the fun can start.

Here are a few photos of the first application of top coat. I am sticking with the British Railways, Blood & Custard, livery.
The photos show the 'custard' colour applied all over. Soon the 'Blood' will be added from the waistline down.



Withdrawal symptoms!!!

20 Dec 2016

So what happens when your van is away at the paint shop for a few weeks and you need something to do?

1. Buy and erect a shed.
2. Move all the non essential bits and pieces, from the garage, into the shed.
3. Clean and paint the inside of the garage.
4. Put down a new interlocking tile floor.

The result is:-



Garage is single size measuring 5 x 2.5 metres.

Tile flooring is from Barkley Plastics, High Gate St Birmingham.
Sold as Plasfloor in 200mm square PVC interlocking tiles at 4.5mm thick. 

www.plasfloor.co.uk

Just lay them in place and tap them with a rubber mallet to lock together.

Took 5 hours to lay this floor complete including cutting all the edge tiles.
Laid on to the existing concrete floor.

Used 13 square metres of tiles (325 tiles)

These tiles are Dark Grey in the centre section and Light Grey the rest.
Other colours available.

Have painted the concrete floor edge and up the wall, one brick high, with grey floor paint before laying tiles.

Hopefully they will prove durable...certainly look much better than the previously  painted floor.


Austin 101/MorrisJB Records at Gaydon

15 Dec 2016

It came as quite a pleasant surprise to read in the Morris Commercial, Autumn 2016. magazine 'Recalling' that the British Motor Museum Heritage Trust at Gaydon has surviving production records for 1957-61 Austin 101/Morris JB vans for Chassis numbers 36048 to 48368.

As my van's chassis number came inside this range I duly sent away my cheque and a month later got a Heritage- Certified Copy of the Factory Record.

In my case I knew my van was registered on the 27th  January 1960 from the log book. What I didn't know was the date of manufacture.

The Heritage  Record showed my van built on the 22 December 1959 and despatched on the 31 December 1959.

Now I have the choice to MOT or not!

First I have to get the van back from the paint shop where it has been on 'low priority' since mid Sept 2016... but it is getting there!